Just to prove I’m not always an amazing cook (although it seems like it, right?), check out these lovely cookies…
Yeah, they’re crumbly & runny. But they taste pretty good. Except for the kinda burned edges. Use your imagination.
If you want to give them a try (or need to do something with some random persimmons)…
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 c white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 c persimmon pulp
- 1 c all purpose flour
- I made it gluten free by using a GF flour mix + 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening & sugar. Beat in the egg & persimmon pulp. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the persimmon mixture. Fold in raisins & walnuts.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Seriously. 2 inches apart. They spread a lot.
- Baking for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are firm. Let cook on the cookie sheets for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
If you make a glutenated version, let me know how they turn out. I don’t know if the recipe is just lacking in flour, or if the GF flour mix can’t really be substituted cup for cup for wheat flour.
At least Cody will eat them 🙂