Since we had a couple bell peppers that were getting old, Cody came up with a great idea… Philly steak sandwiches! I made mine gluten free by using the GF bread I made awhile ago & froze… and I only had to buy Swiss cheese (we had everything else on hand). The sandwiches turned out to be very tasty… even on GF bread. Definitely a great way to use up peppers & onions before they go bad 🙂
Philly Steak Sandwiches
adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 lb beef sirloin, cut into thin 2 inch strips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 3 tb vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 3 oz Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise (Cody just used regular sandwich bread)
- Place the beef in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the spices. Mix spices & sprinkle over beef.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Saute beef, onion, and pepper to desired doneness.
- Divide the meat between the bottoms of the 4 rolls (or 4 slices of bread), layer with veggies, and top with sliced Swiss. Place on a cookie sheet & broil in oven until cheese is melted. Cover with tops of rolls & serve
Pretty easy and pretty tasty!
You could substitute wild game steaks for the beef- the seasonings will cover up any gamey taste