Cody was surprised at how good these little pizzas turned out. I liked them too, but I would definitely blot the oil after frying them next time. My stomach is pretty sensitive to oil & grease, so I might even try baking them initially, rather than frying in oil. Regardless, this was a good way to use up our Bountiful Basket eggplant 🙂
Slightly adapted from All Recipes
- 2 eggs
- 1 c all-purpose flour (I used gluten-free Better Batter)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2 in. rounds
- 1/4 c vegetable oil (I used olive oil… and not nearly 1/4 c)
- 1 14 oz can/jar pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Optional: your favorite pizza toppings (I used sliced fresh mushrooms & pepperoni)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and oregano in a shallow dish.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the egg, then coat all sides with the flour mixture
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Place the eggplant slices in the skillet to cook, turning occasionally, until evenly browned.
- Drain the eggplant slices on a paper towel- lined plate (I forgot this step- very important!)
- Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spoon pizza sauce onto each slice & add toppings and/or cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted- about 5-10 minutes