Who doesn’t want to eat a cupcake for breakfast?! Cody does whenever we have regular cupcakes/cake/pie in the house… but I’m (kinda) trying to cut back on carbs (to see if that helps with the fibromyalgia symptoms), so we haven’t had real cupcakes/cake/pie around for awhile.
Anyway, my biggest (mental) struggle with cutting carbs has been breakfast… I love Chex cereal, corn flakes, hash browns, or oatmeal for breakfast. And those have lots of carbs 😦 So I went searching… and came across two recipes that had potential. I combined them & made up a batch for this week’s breakfasts. I’m hoping they’ll keep me full enough and taste good!
Breakfast Egg Cupcakes
- 8 oz breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 c spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 c your favorite cheese, shredded (I used mozzarella)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 c milk
- Preheat oven to 325. Coat a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners
- Cook sausage in a large skillet, over medium heat, until browned (6-8 minutes)
- Move sausage to small bowl to cool
- Add oil to the pan; add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add spinach when mushrooms are nearly done. Continue to stir & cook until spinach is wilted.
- Transfer veggies to the bowl with the sausage. Stir in cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, and pepper together.
- Divide the sausage mixture between the muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over the mixture in the cups.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. Let cool completely before wrapping in plastic.
- Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds