As you may know, 4B’s is/was a Montana-based restaurant that served delicious tomato soup. My mother-in-law, Kathy, gave me a bunch of family recipes for Christmas a couple of years ago, including this one. We had a bunch of tomatoes from our Bountiful Basket, so I planned to make tomato soup… when I mentioned my meal plan, Cody immediately suggested this recipe. I modified it a little, to take advantage of what I had in the pantry. Cody loved the soup… and I thought it was OK. The chunks of tomato bothered me a bit, but it was still tasty 🙂
4B’s Cream of Tomato Soup
from 4B’s Restaurant, via Kathy
- about 8 c diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 2 tb butter
- 2 tb sugar
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 c cream or half & half
- Mix tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, sugar, onions & soda.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- In another pan, slowly heat the cream (don’t let it boil).
- Add cream to soup & serve.