Since I had a bunch of broccoli to use up… I went looking for a good recipe. This turned out good- flavorful & not as difficult as the ingredient list makes it look. And trust me, you can’t taste the carrots 😉
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
adapted from Divine Bite
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c + 1 tb flour (I used GF Better Batter)
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 c milk
- 2 to 4 c chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tps cardamom
- this can be omitted, or you can add a little extra nutmeg
- 1/2 tb salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 c fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/4 c grated carrots
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot, saute onion in butter over medium low heat until translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic & cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add flour stirringly until thick. While stirring, add cream, milk, and 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a light boil.
- Reduce to low. Add nutmeg, cardamom, salt, & pepper. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Add broccoli & carrots. Simmer an additional 20-30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Add additional chicken stock as needed to thin soup out.
- Stir in cheese & let simmer an additional 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Note: this is a slightly updated version- I increased both the broccoli and chicken stock amounts, and decreased the pepper, to better suit our tastes