So… I just realized that there’s an “s” at the end of Brussels. And that would explain why I kept getting the little red misspelling line…
Anyway, this the weekend, we had some friends over for dinner. L is probably one of the least healthy eaters I’ve ever met, but his new year’s resolution has been to eat better. And we were able to convince him to eat a roasted Brussels sprout (a huge step for him!). His reaction? “Not bad.” Better than nothing 😉
This recipe made Brussels sprouts edible for me- they smell a lot better than boiled sprouts. I didn’t think they had a lot of taste- just a bit salty. Cody loved them though… he probably ate a pound at dinner, and took the leftovers for lunch.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
from Food Network (Ina Garten)
- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 3 tb olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts, pulling off any yellow leaves.
- Toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour onto a baking sheet.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, until crisp on the outside & tender on the inside (I stabbed them with a fork to check).
- Shake the pan periodically to brown evenly.
- Ina Garten recommends sprinkling more salt on them, but I didn’t. They were fine without the extra sodium.