When I first saw this recipe, I thought it sounded delicious. So I put it on our meal plan for the week. Unfortunately, I usually just skim recipes, then print them off. And that back-fired this time…
Because I was too lazy to go to the grocery store, and I have a rule to never buy ingredients that I’ll only use once or that I’ll waste a lot, I had to make some serious substitutions. Luckily, it turned out tasty! Cody mixed the sauce the sauce for me… and said it smelled nasty. But, once I poured it over the chicken & broccoli, he was all excited because it smelled soooo good! We both really liked it, so I’m sure this recipe will be making an appearance again. There weren’t even left-overs for lunch the next day 🙂
My substitutions are in parenthesis below. I didn’t have hoisin sauce, fresh ginger, or fresh chili paste. I was too lazy to mince a teaspoon of garlic. I can’t handle spiciness, so I chose chili powder over cayenne pepper. So feel free to customize it to suit your kitchen & your tastes!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Adapted from Mother Thyme
- 1/4 c chicken stock
- 1 tb soy sauce (if gluten matters to you, check the label- La Choy is GF)
- 1 tb tomato paste
- 1 tb hoisin sauce (or 1/2 tb ketchup + 3/4 tsp honey)
- 1 tb rice vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 1/2 tsp ground fresh chili paste, like Sambal (or 1/2 tsp chili powder or ground cayenne pepper)
- 2 tb cornstarch, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb broccoli crowns
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- optional garnishments: flax seed, sesame seed, green onions, scallions
- In a small bowl, combine chicken stock, soy sauce, tomato paste, hoisin sauce (or ketchup & honey), rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, chili paste (or pepper powder), and 1 tb cornstarch. Stir until blended & set aside.
- Generously spray a large skillet/wok with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken with remaining 1 tb cornstarch, salt, & pepper.
- Add coated chicken to skillet & cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center & juices run clear (about 7-10) minutes.
- Add broccoli & garlic (or garlic powder), and cook until broccoli is just tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Stir in sauce, reduce heat to low, and cook until sauce is heated (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, garnish, and serve.
Note: the original recipe is shown served over rice… I didn’t even think of that until Cody mentioned rice while we were eating. So, have rice if you want. Or leave it out if you’re watching carbs.