Paleo breakfasts… scare me. Really, WTF am I supposed to eat that doesn’t have any kind of grain in it, is dairy free, and is lean but full of protein? I was fine with a bowl of Chex, or a bowl of oatmeal (although oatmeal bothers my stomach now), or bacon & eggs. But… not allowed.
So I was SUPER excited to find this recipe. I totally let my enthusiasm overwhelm my skepticism- oat-less oatmeal? Really? Yes, really- it tastes like oatmeal! Just make sure you use a non-stick pan, or a ton of cooking spray, because it really coats the pan.
This makes 2 servings, and it’s actually pretty filling, especially if you use whole eggs.
- 3/4 c liquid egg whites, or 3 egg whites, or 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c chopped pecans
- 2 tb ground flaxseed
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together egg whites & almond milk.
- Stir in walnuts, pecans, ground flax, banana, vanilla extract, and cinnamon; blend well.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the mixture on the stove, stirring frequently, until the “oatmeal” reaches the desired consistency (only a few minutes)
- Top with berries, nut butter, seeds, or whatever you’d like
- I only had whole walnuts, so I put them in a baggie & smashed them with a hammer to get them small enough.