Last week, we got another eggplant. While the eggplant pizzas I made last time were tasty, I wanted to try something different…
We had B & L over for dinner Saturday night; I was feeling pretty uninspired, so I finally settled on hamburgers & baked french fries. The eggplant was starting to look a bit droopy, so I knew I needed to use it up… and this recipe fit in perfectly with my meal plan. Almost everyone like them (they don’t taste super healthy… almost like french fries) & L even tried one (remember, he’s the super picky guy that only eats 4 vegetables willingly) and said “it’s not bad.” Better than spitting it out 😉
Baked Eggplant Sticks
- 1 (10 oz) eggplant
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs (I used GF Schar bread crumbs)
- 2 tb Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white (as I typed this, I noticed, for the first time, the white part of that ingredient… I just used a whole egg)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450. Line 1 or 2 baking sheets (depending on how many eggplant slices you have) with parchment paper & lightly spray.
- Cut ends off eggplant. Slice eggplant in half, then into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Lay each slice on the cutting board & cut into 1/4 inch thick strips. Keep the strips the same size so they cook evenly.
- Place eggplant strips in a bowl. Season with olive oil, salt, & pepper. Set aside
- Combine breadcrumbs & Parmesan cheese in a bowl, and scrambled egg white in another.
- Dip eggplant strips into the egg white, then into the breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the middle rack. If necessary, turn over & bake an additional 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot. The original recipe suggests dipping in marinara, but I thought they were fine plain.