This was Cody’s only request for the menu this week. But I only had a gluteny recipe… complete with cream of mushroom soup :(. So I found this recipe & gave it a try.
I made the recipe exactly as written on glutenfree.com, but I think my suggestions (as written below) will improve it quite a bit. The steaks were waaaay too onion-y, and the gravy didn’t have a lot of flavor by itself. Regardless, these were pretty tasty 🙂
Gluten Free Salisbury Steak
Adapted from glutenfree.com
- 1 lb ground beef (I used ground venison)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tb pepper, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tb butter
- 2 tb gluten free flour (I used Better Batter)
- 2 c gluten free stock (beef is recommended, but I used chicken, since that’s what I had)
- 1 tb BBQ sauce
- 1 tb ketchup
- 5 tb olive oil, divided
- Heat 2 tb olive oil in a medium skillet. Saute chopped onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine sauteed onion, hamburger, ketchup, BBQ sauce, pepper, and salt. Form into 6 patties.
- Heat 2 tb olive oil in skillet, over low heat. Place patties in skillet & brown on both sides.
- After browned, wrap each patty in foil. Place on a baking sheet & bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- While patties are baking, heat 1 tb olive oil in skillet, with 2 tb butter. Add mushrooms & cook until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Sprinkle 2 tb flour over mushrooms. Stir for a minute, then add stock.
- Whisk to make gravy. If needed, add more flour 1 tb at a time to thicken. Stir & cook until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove patties from oven; pour off any excess fat. Serve gravy over Salisbury steak patties.