Cody loves chicken fried steak. It’s in the top 3 dishes for a guy who loves food. So it’s a big deal. And me not eating gluten is a big problem. I could easily get around the flour for the breading, but I had to search for a gravy recipe (rather than use a pre-packaged mix). Luckily, my internet recipe searching skills didn’t let me down. And now my husband is happy 🙂
Chicken Fried Steak (gluten free & dairy free)
Adapted from All Recipes
- 1 pound steak
- olive oil for cooking
- 2 eggs
- 2 tb water
- 3/4 c + 2 tb flour (I used gluten free Better Batter)
- 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c milk (I used almond milk to keep it dairy free)
- Cut steaks into 4 servings. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Mix 3/4 c flour, 1/4 tsp pepper, & garlic powder in a shallow dish. Mix eggs & water in another (beat eggs).
- Coat each steak with egg mixture, then flour mixture. Place in pan.
- Cook approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness is reached.
- Remove steaks from skillet; keep warm. Empty drippings from pan into small saucepan.
- Gradually stir 2 tb flour into drippings. Mix well, loosening browned bits.
- Slowly stir in milk. Season with 1/2 tsp pepper & salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook & stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Serve gravy over steaks.