I haven’t found a mashed sweet potato recipe that I love, so I moved on (at least for now)… decided to try sweet potato chili. Cody was… skeptical, to say the least. BUT, he was also pleasantly surprised. This tasted like chili, not sweet potatoes!
Sweet Potato Chili
slightly adapted from Team Determination
- 2 cloves garlic, minded
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tb olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2 cinch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 15 oz can black beans
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced (or 15 oz can diced tomatoes)
- 3/4 c chicken broth
- 1 tb chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Saute onions & garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes, then add sweet potatoes & bell pepper. Cook until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low; add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine well.
- Simmer, partially covered & stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are tender).