A new take on burgers~ a little less oregano (or actual Italian seasoning) would make this delicious! I’ve adapted the sauce recipe a bit to make it less spicy, since neither of us loved the original. If you were in a hurry, you could just heat up a jar of pizza sauce, or make your version to get the exact taste you’re looking for.
slightly adapted from Prevention RD
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 tb olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp steak seasoning (I used A-1)
- 1 1/2 tb Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tb dried Italian seasoning
- 6 oz cheese- sliced mozzarella is recommended, but I only had shredded cheddar & it still worked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes *undrained*
- 3 tb tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (optional, in my opinion)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 tb olive oil in a small skillet; saute onion until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Combine ground beef, sauteed onion, steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Mix all together.
- Divide mixture into 6 portions & shape into patties. Cook over medium heat until done (4-5 minutes per side).
- Meanwhile, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic & cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato past, Italian seasoning (optional), sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Keep warm.
- When burgers are done, spoon sauce over burgers (on buns, if desired) & top with cheese.