Cody really, really wanted me to make banana bread with the bananas that were slowly going bad on our counter. Since I’m such a nice wife, I forfeited TWO breakfast smoothies to make his bread. The things I do for him…
This bread is probably one of the healthier recipes- no butter or oil, very little sugar. And it’s THE tastiest one I’ve tried. The loaf didn’t even last 24 hours… so good!
From How to Cook for Crohn’s & Colitis, by Brenda Roscher, page 93
- 1/2 c applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour (I used Better Batter to make it GF & didn’t need to make any other substitutions)
- Combine applesauce, eggs, bananas, and vanilla in a large bowl; stir well.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir well
- Add brown sugar & stir well.
- Stir in flour until combined- don’t over mix
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan(s). Makes 1 regular loaf or 4 mini loafs.
- Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes for regular loaves, or 25-30 for mini loaves.