I had cooked squash in the fridge, from an aborted attempt at making a baked squash casserole thing (since it had dairy in it, I abandoned the recipe). I didn’t want to waste a whole squash, so I got creative… yes, this is me being creative 😉
This basically tasted like mashed potatoes- add more salt & pepper for extra flavor.
Mashed Squash & Potatoes
A Cooking Sugar original
- 1 medium butternut squash (acorn or kabocha would probably work too)
- 8 medium potatoes, washed
- 1 c chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- diced fresh chives to taste (optional)
- Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes, removing the outer skin as you go. Boil in water until soft, about 20-30 minutes
- If you want, peel the potatoes. Cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. Boil in water until soft, about 20 minutes. You could probably boil with the squash & just check the tenderness often after 20 minutes
- Drain the squash & potatoes, then transfer to a large bowl. Add chicken broth, salt & pepper, and chives.
- Using a hand-held mixer or potato masher, smash up the squash & potatoes; serve warm