I’ve been looking for a dairy-free/mayo-free for awhile now. I tried out Asian coleslaw, but it wasn’t the greatest. Cody didn’t even really like it (yeah, the guy who eats anything). So I was a little hesitant to try another version of slaw… but I had cabbage to use up. Cody was pretty skeptical when I told him my plan for dinner, but he’s brave ;). Luckily, this recipe turned out good! It tastes just like coleslaw should, but it still fits within my new diet restrictions.
slightly adapted from All Recipes
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored & shredded
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 c white sugar (you could cut it back to 1/2 cup)
- 1 c vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 3/4 c vegetable oil (I used olive oil & it was fine)
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 tsp sugar, mustard & oil. Bring to a boil & cook for 3 minutes. Cool completely
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, & 1 c sugar. Pour the cooled sauce mixture over the cabbage; toss to coat
- Refrigerate overnight before serving
PS: It’ll be pretty runny- just serve with a slotted spoon. And feel free to add shredded carrots, cucumbers, or zucchini.