Last week, Cody added to our frozen rhubarb stash… and “suggested” that “we” make something with all the rhubarb, since the coffee can was almost full. I knew that meant he wanted some kind of dessert… so I made dinner with the rhubarb instead.
Surprisingly, the chicken turned out really good! I thought the rhubarb would be too sweet, but it wasn’t; the sauce really complimented the chicken.
Baked Rhubarb Chicken
Slightly adapted from The Way to His Heart
- 2 c rhubarb, chopped into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tb cornstarch
- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 lb chicken breasts, thawed
- 1/8 c olive oil (the original calls for 1/4 c butter)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch & water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened- about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice & set aside to cool.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish & drizzle the olive oil over it (or brush the melted butter over). Sprinkle with salt
- Cook for 30 minutes at 375; remove from oven
- Spoon rhubarb sauce over chicken; sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes