My mom has made shepherd’s pie for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I liked the melty cheese. As an adult, I like how easy & cheap it is to make. The last time I made it, I used leftover mashed potatoes, but you could also speed up the preparation by using instant potatoes if you wanted. I added more veggies to my mom’s recipe & made it gluten free, so know that this recipe is easy to customize.
Adapted from Shellie McMaster’s recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 can corn
- 1 can green beans
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 c mashed potatoes
- optional: sliced or shredded Cheddar
- Mix together hamburger, ketchup, egg, corn & beans. Bake in a pie plate at 350, for about 30 minutes, or until the burger is browned
- While the meat is cooking, make the mashed potatoes
- Remove the meat from the oven & drain off any juices. Spoon potatoes onto meat. If desired, cover with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and/or potatoes are warm